Thorus - doodling Feb 20 at 6:43am

Today I spent my whole day  working on the studhuntress commission.
It's a difficult piece to draw at my current level.
Sometimes I ask myself : why am I struggling so much with this picture ?
There are several reasons I guess.
First, the composition. There's a sheer amount of people in this picture to draw, some laying down on the floor, some resting on the wall. Some weapons shattered, some antic warrior design to be done. And most of all, there are specific positions/attitudes that are required by the client.
When one draws for oneself, it is simple to take the easy path, and choose the simplier expression, or the position one is used to draw. That is not the case when one has to draw someone else's request.
It's hard.
But that's good. It means I'm on the right path.
Once this picture will be done , I shall stop taking commissions for the next months, for a simple reason : I need to produce my Thorus comic.
I've started this patreon page about 10 days ago I think, but I haven't been able to show yet any comic. That's not fair for those who subscribed to this patreon page to see some Thorus comics.
I have several concepts ideas for the Thorus world. World building, female characters, monsters...
But in the same time, I find it direspectful to doodle on my own characters when someone is still waiting for me to finish his commision.
So I'm waiting to get the job done before focusing 100% on Thorus.
I need also to study drawing techniques and digital painting.

In the meantime, here's a sketch of Thorus I did 6 months ago.
There's a  lit story behind that sketch : A friend of mine who happens to be an artist, phoned me, telling me he'll take the tram to visit me in about 20 mns. So he said : You have twenty minutes to draw something. Anything you want.
So I ended up drawing this sketch. I guess muscles are the thing that I draw the most naturally. I just love drawing the human body.
Funny that it took me only 20 mn to doddle this piece, but yet after weeks I haven't finished the line art of the studhuntress composition.



Tomorrow I'll go to the comic shop to get me some few new  J.Scott Campbell artbooks, and watch afterward the black Panther movie with a friend. I'll keep on working on the commission after the movie.

Cheers !

Comments

Popular Posts