Some artbooks I bought & a glimpse of my workspace Feb 21 at 6:17pm


Yesterday I went to the comic shops where I spend 200 bucks on several artbooks and comics.
I noticeably bought five J.Scott Campbell sketchbooks that I didn't own yet, telling my friend "you see I owe J.Scott Campbel some money, so I got to buy these books."
- What ya mean you owe him, dude ?
"Well the guy has always been a tremendous source of inspiration for me. Especially the eyes. Those eyes he draw... I've not yet succeed to steal them from him. But god I want to draw eyes as good as his heroines".
(As a matter of fact I should study more Disney's art if I want to get the essence of these eyes)
J.Scott Campbell is a master when it's about drawing sexy teenage girls. His male characters have no appeal though. I guess it's a good thing that he's drawing only covers for the past 15 years, this way he can focus solely on drawing women.


I purchased also a french edition of an artbook dedicated to "Big John" John Buscema. Being the (self-called) number one french fan of Buscema's Conan comics, I was pleased to find some new material to feast my eyes upon, albeit his avenger works don't interest me. Buscema = Conan !
I also bought a giant-size Seven to Eternity issue. As an artist, it's a fantastic materiel to study, the print being at the same size as the page I draw my current comics on (A3). Incidentally my old Thorus comics 16 years ago were all done on A4 paper, and I always found it way too small for rendering eyes.


On this shelf I put my tools as well as several figurines for studying. It's actually hard to find a very well muscular male figurine. This week end a friend of mine came to my house to install Daz3d, but I just suck with it, so I might just end up buying a bodykun figures for figuring my poses. Way easier to do than using a 3d model program, and more enjoyable.
There are also a few comic books. I actually have thousands of comics, mangas and book in my library, with a room dedicated solely for them. I shall post some photo of that room one day.
As for Black Panther, I wasn' able to watch it, as it was full at the theatre...

Comments

Popular Posts